|This article or section includes a list of references or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks in-text citations.
You can improve this article by introducing more precise citations.
Dwarves are similar to humans in many ways though they're shorter (averaging around 4.5 feet (1.4 meters)) and are known to be more enduring.
Dwarves are widely accepted across Khorvaire and receive little prejudice as they form a large minority in every nation. Dwarves can be found in all lines of work, from inquisitives to bankers to smiths and politicians. Dwarves are sometimes stereotyped as money-obsessed alcoholics, which is far from the truth, at least for some. Dwarves hold their family and clans dear to them, so dear that throughout their history they have fought amongst each other and even to this day the dwarven clans hold grudges. Dwarves now live all over Khorvaire and even in Riedra.
The dwarves of the Mror Holds endlessly mine for gems and metals in the Ironroot Mountains, which has led to the clans becoming exceedingly wealthy. The clans of the Mror Holds have little power over Khorvaire; however, a saying amongst dwarves is that the one who really rules a kingdom is not the one on the throne but the one who keeps the kingdom's purse.
Dwarves with dragonmarks are members of House Kundarak, a house that was formerly a clan before accumulating enough power to stand independently. House Kundarak truly represents the well-being of the dwarves in Khorvaire as only they have enough power to influence all nations' economies and political decisions. Despite only being observers on the Iron Council, many suspect they have far greater influence.
Dwarves tend to be quite reticent, showing little emotion and keeping information about themselves from anyone who is not family. They do their best to think before they speak in an attempt to avoid giving anyone information they could use against them.
Dwarf names often have strong consonants and several syllables. All dwarves have a given name, often taken from a grandparent, and a clan name.
- Male Names
- Bruennen, Durnnam, Greddark, Kellark, Turanank
- Female Names
- Annaka, Gerthin, Karkanna, Menna, Zranakarak
Before Galifar's reign, the dwarves lived in the Frostfell, living as barbarians. The dwarves believed that their ancestors immigrated to Khorvaire for a better life in −12,000. It is believed that upon arriving in the northeastern mountains the dwarves began mining almost immediately. Upon arrival the dwarves entered a long conflict with the native Jhorash'tar, a battle that continues to this day. The dwarven clans also battled amongst each other over riches and power until Galifar imposed peace on them. Still, despite this, grudges remained and so the aggression continued except now in the form of espionage and sabotage.
Notable Dwarven Clans
- Dwarf article at the Chronicles of Astinus, a wiki for the Dragonlance campaign setting.
- Dwarf article at the Forgotten Realms Wiki, a wiki for the Forgotten Realms campaign setting.
- Dwarf article at the Spelljammer Wiki, a wiki for the Spelljammer campaign setting.
- Mike Mearls, Jeremy Crawford (2014). Player's Handbook (5th edition). (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 18–20. ISBN 978-0-7869-6560-1.
- Rob Heinsoo, Andy Collins, and James Wyatt (2008). Player's Handbook. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 36. ISBN 0-7869-4867-1.
- (2003). Player's Handbook. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 14–15. ISBN 0-7869-2886-7.
- James Wyatt and Keith Baker (2009). Eberron Campaign Guide. (Wizards of the Coast), p. ?. ISBN 0-7869-5099-4.
- David Noonan, Ari Marmell, and Robert J. Schwalb (2009). Eberron Player's Guide. (Wizards of the Coast), p. ?. ISBN 0-7869-5100-1.
- Jesse Decker, Matthew Sernett, Gwendolyn F.M. Kestrel, & Keith Baker (2005). Races of Eberron. (Wizards of the Coast), p. ?. ISBN 0-7869-3658-4.
|Player's Handbook Races: Dragonborn | Drow | Dwarf | Elf | Gnome | Half-Elf | Half-Orc | Halfling | Human | Tiefling|
|Eberron Races: Bugbear | Changeling | Goblin | Hobgoblin | Kalashtar | Orc | Shifter | Warforged|
|Other Races: Armand | Asherati | Bhuka | Doppelganger | Dragon | Gnoll | Goliath | Kobold | Lizardfolk | Medusa | Sahuagin | Shulassakar | Thri-kreen | Yuan-Ti|
|Outsiders: Aasimar | Angel | Archon | Daelkyr | Demon | Devil | Elemental | Genie | Githyanki | Githzerai | Inevitable | Mephit | Quori | Slaad|